4 X 25: The Experimental COO Project
My Next Electric is an 18-month old solo-founder company that’s found traction with users in an $800B market but hasn’t picked a business model yet. So I’m hiring 4 Experimental COOs, giving each $25K and 3 months to test 1 of 4 promising business lines. Welcome to 4x25: The Experimental COO Project.
Goals of 4x25
- For My Next Electric: Validate 1-4 promising internal business models.
- For 1-4 COOs: Cash, community and coaching to build a profitable climate-tech business.
Hire 4 Experimental COOs; give each $25K and 3 months to test 4 promising business lines.
- Holding Company: Take ownership stakes in producers and installers of electric vehicles, charging gear, and appliances that store energy.
- Agency: Help local governments, schools, utilities and corporate clients go electric.
- Experimental Lab: Run controlled experiments that explore design, use, and ownership of electric vehicles and appliances that can store energy.
- School: Teach industry apprentices to install and consumers about going electric.
April 5 - Oct 5, 2023
- April 5: Write up project plan after drawing this sketch
- April 6: Publish plan, start outreach
- April 17: Rebrand role from CEO to COO
- May 4: App Deadline
- May: Candidates pitch 3 month plans and interview
- June - August: CEOs build best $25K business they can in 3 months
- September: Crunch numbers, develop succession plan if model has potential
- October 5: Publish report on lessons learned and ideas on where to go next
If you’re curious about applying…
- Thank you. Your time’s valuable, and I’ll try to respect it.
Here’s what I’d recommend to get up to speed on what this is all about:
- Read the launch post and this edit
- Take our crash course to understand our unique fun/curious take on electrification - free link
- Check out my leadership toolkit for more on how I think about building teams/companies
- Come to my weekly office hours and ask any questions you’ve got!Start drafting a one page plan for your first week.
- Start drafting a one page plan for June-August.
- Submit 5 and 6 and a few more details on the formal application here
About My Next Electric and why we’re doing this 4x25 project
- My Next Electric helps people switch to electric vehicles and appliances that store energy. Along the way, we’re trying to co-create wealth and delight with employees, partners and customers.
- Matt Candler founded My Next Electric in 2021. How it started. How it’s going.
- If hired, you’ll be paid a monthly salary (no retirement or health benefits) based on what you propose in your app (out of $25K)
- If you build a profitable business line in 3 months, you will unlock the opportunity to earn up to 5% of equity in My Next Electric.
- We think diverse teams work better; we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
- This is an exempt, full-time gig (May-Sep) w/no benefits nor guarantee of employment after.
- You’ll get lifetime access to my leadership training and a 4-month crash course on CEO-ing
LIVE Status of each role
- We’re taking apps on a rolling basis as of April 6, 2023 and may hire for a role at any time.
- We’ll update the status of each role here as we make hires
- Holding Co: Accepting applications
- Agency: Accepting applications
- Battery: Accepting applications
- School: Accepting applications
Apply to be an Experimental COO