We’re not expert:
- Engineers. (We do love to build things, and we’re obsessed with w/electrifying 1 Billion Machines.
- Policy experts. But we learn fast and we know how to teach and coach.
- Grid managers. But we are investing in the largest used-electric car battery power plant and the largest micro-grid network in the country, and we’re obsessed making sure we’re eager to make sure it helps the local utility serve our community.
We are experts in:
If there’s a way we can help you lead more effectively through the monumental challenge of switching to renewable fuels and (mostly) electric machines. Here are a few ideas we’re prototyping.
I’ve been lucky to work on some fun, challenging projects.
- 1996 Atlanta Olympics - I was one of the first ten people on staff at the largest peace-time event in world history.
- KIPP Foundation - I led the fastest wave of expansion at the largest charter school network in the US. My team was 37 for 38, launching schools on-time in 20 states in 3 years.
- NYC Charter Schools - I helped build the first city-wide charter school incubator in the US; 19% of kids in NYC now attend one of 275 charter schools.
- In 2006, I moved to New Orleans to serve as CEO at New Schools for New Orleans, now home to the nation’s most innovative, and far from perfect, system of schools.
- That year I started building electric motorcycles as a scheme to justify buying cool tools.
- In 2010, I launched an organization called 4.0 to help entrepreneurs explore new ways to help people learn.
- It's still going strong with more than 1,500 diverse alumni serving more than 9 million learners across the US.
- Handing off leadership to my successor took four years and taught me tons about power, identity and leadership. It heavily informs how I think about coaching founders today.
- In 2019, I started investing in the electrification of vehicles, buildings and the grid, including B2U Storage Solutions, now operator of the largest second-life electric car battery power plant in the USA.
- Last year, I helped start one of the largest micro-grid projects in the US, Together New Orleans’ Community Lighthouse, which brings solar and storage to 85 houses of faith and non-profits across the Parish. I also started coaching Techstars EnergyTech founders.
I’m lucky to have studied in some great communities, too.
- MBA, Northwestern University/Kellogg: Decision Sciences, Education Mgmt
- BA, Duke University: math, Spanish Language
- TBD: Residential Electrician Certificate, Delgado Community College
- Racial Equity Institute, Rocky Mountain School of Photography, Fuller Moto Welding Essentials, Center for Restorative Approaches, On Deck Climate Tech Fellowship
Leadership therapy/coaching/strategic toolkit
For 25 years, I’ve been curating tools on culture, learning and innovation — including links to the research they’re based on — in a compact toolkit that’s easy to use and navigate.
Lead with succession in mind.
- 1 starting point - succession
- 2 types of informal power
- 3 duties of a board
- 4 duties of a CEO
- 5 types of decisions
- 6 leadership styles
- Lean Startup
- Conflict resolution
- Design Thinking
- Exponential thinking
- Integrative negotiations
- Invest in 20-yr version of people
- Practice Self-compassion
- Diverse teams do better
- Be aware of cognitive bias
- Read and Build a Second Brain
- Electrify your personal stuff
Schedule an exploratory call.
Click here if you have trouble w/the embedded calendar.